Understanding (and befriending) your Kapha energy is an important first step when it comes to decision-making regarding food, self care, and lifestyle choices. As I’ve shared previously, learning about ayurvedic doshas helped me better understand my body and mind’s underlying framework. This knowledge is so powerful!
In this article, I’ll cover:
- Common disorders affiliated with Kapha
- Common psychological characteristics of Kapha
- Ways Kapha can become imbalanced (and how to balance it)
- General dietary tips and herbal remedies to promote healthy Kapha
- Key takeaways
Kapha contains the elements of earth and water. In its balanced state, Kapha is loving, gentle, and compassionate. When aggravated, Kapha tends to hold onto feelings and fluids and can become sluggish, indifferent, or greedy.
The following health disorders can be associated with Kapha:
Kapha dwells in the head, throat, chest, lungs and lymph, as well as tissues, tendons and ligaments.
Remember, with the doshas, it’s all about balance. When Kapha is imbalanced, it can prompt the following behaviors:
- Greed, possessiveness, and envy
- Passivity and apathy
- Tendency to give up easily or be taken advantage of
Often, certain things can trigger this imbalance. These include the following:
- Emotional eating
- Being physically inactive
- Too much time indoors
- Not enough intellectual stimulation
- Storing emotions
- Cool, damp climates
When balanced, though, that Kapha energy is a gift. Here’s what it can look like, plus some tips to get there.
When it comes to Kapha, I have three words for you: Drying, Stimulating, and Expression. Consider the following dietary tips:
- Eat at regular times each day
- Light breakfast, or skip
- Light dinner
- Prioritize bitter, pungent & astringent flavors
- Prioritize light, dry, warming foods
- Avoid snacking and late night eating
- Limit sweet, salty and sour foods
- Avoid white sugar and greasy foods
- Use warming spices for digestion
- Choose warm beverages
- Only drink when thirsty
As an herbalist, I believe strongly that specific herbs, plants, and minerals can bring you harmony - they recognize the similarities between us and them. Consider incorporating the following into your diet, and be sure to head over to the store to stock up on your favorites.
As always, I wish you vibrant health.