Understanding (and befriending) your Pitta energy is an important first step when it comes to decision-making regarding food, self care, and lifestyle choices. As I’ve shared previously, learning about ayurvedic doshas helped me better understand my body and mind’s underlying framework. This knowledge is so powerful!
In this article, I’ll cover:
- Common disorders affiliated with Pitta
- Common psychological characteristics of Pitta
- Ways Pitta can become imbalanced (and how to balance it)
- General dietary tips and herbal remedies to promote healthy Pitta
- Key takeaways
Pitta contains the elements of fire and water. In its balanced state, Pitta is joyful and radiates warmth and enthusiasm. But when aggravated, Pitta temper can simmer or burn out of control, typically stemming from anger, jealousy, and/or fear.
The following health disorders can be associated with Pitta:
Pitta dwells in the abdomen and internal organs, especially our digestive fire, as well as in our comprehension and speech.
Remember, with the doshas, it’s all about balance. When Pitta is imbalanced, it can prompt the following behaviors:
- Manipulative and/or intense jealousy
- Overly competitive spirit
- Desire for control
Often, certain things can trigger this imbalance. These include the following:
- Eating while angry
- Drinking alcohol or caffeine
- Smoking cigarettes
- Being too competitive
- Becoming overheated (physically or mentally)
When balanced, though, that Pitta energy can be transformative. Here’s what it can look like, plus some tips to get there.
When it comes to Pitta, I have three words for you: Cool. Calm. Moderation. Consider the following dietary tips:
- Eat at regular times each day
- Balanced breakfast & early lunch
- Prioritize sweet, bitter & astringent flavors
- Prioritize cool, dry, slightly heavy foods
- Don’t eat while working
- Limit salty, sour & pungent foods
- Avoid refined sugar
- Limit alcohol and caffeine
As an herbalist, I believe strongly that specific herbs, plants, and minerals can bring you harmony - they recognize the similarities between us and them. Consider incorporating the following into your diet, and be sure to head over to the store to stock up on your favorites.
As always, I wish you vibrant health.